What are some tips for improving your chances at winning scholarships?

Asked Houston, Texas

In writing your application's personal essay remember: "Don't meet the requirements, exceed the requirements." First, concisely state how you meet the requirements. Next, write in detail and with passion how meeting those requirements made a meaningful difference in your life, how they helped you get engaged in the community, etc.

Thank you so much for your advice!
You're welcome, good luck!

Lashay’s Answer

Great question. I would encourage you to make sure that you meet all of the qualifications or at least most, to improve your chances. Have someone proof read your essay, if one I'd required. Also, apply to the institutional scholarships for the college that you are attending, this way competition is limited to other students of that same school only, increasing your chances. Finally, be sure to beat the deadline for completing and turning it in. Best of luck!

Jacob’s Answer

Updated Cleveland, Ohio

Hi, Mireia,

I'd like to add on to David's answer. The scholarship application process is very nuanced. Making small changes has the potential to drastically improve the number of scholarships you receive. Applying David's advice is a good starting point. I'd also recommend considering some of the techniques in the article I linked below. If you integrate the advice therein, I think you'll put together some very competitive scholarship applications.

I hope this helps - good luck!

Jacob recommends the following next steps:

• http://time.com/money/collection-post/4270593/tips-winning-college-scholarships/

Chantel’s Answer

To better your chances you are going to want to spotless writing entry, if required. If you need references, they need to shine bright. Also, stand out by using your unique creativity but stay on topic.