Career Questions tagged Womeninstem

Gillian C.’s Avatar
Gillian C. Jul 17, 2020 307 views

How much training do you receive on a full time cyber security job?

There are a plethora of different cyber security jobs out there, with much to learn as you are being introduced to the many different concepts of cyber security. After accepting a full time cyber security position, how much/what kind of training do you typically receive starting into your...

stem cybersecurity applicationsecurity july20 informationsecurity technology computer-science career womeninstem computerscience careerdevelopment computer-security

Gillian C.’s Avatar
Gillian C. May 09, 2019 434 views

When do most comp sci internships start?

I’m going to be a junior in computer science this coming fall, and I would like to begin searching for internships for the experience. I am going to have to take a summer class during the month of May. Are there internships that allow you to start in the middle of the summer, or are there any...

softwaredeveloper stem internship softwareengineer software computer-science engineer technology womeninstem computer computer-software

Gillian C.’s Avatar
Gillian C. May 09, 2019 532 views

How to prepare for an internship?

I’m in progress of a computer science bachelor degree. However, I’ve only had two coding classes: an introductory class using Visual Basic, and C++. I do not feel that I have learned much and would like to be more qualified for future internships. How may I further increase my knowledge outside...

softwaredeveloper stem science internship softwareengineer software computer-science technology womeninstem computer computer-software

Rosa W.’s Avatar
Rosa W. Aug 31, 2018 459 views

How do you deal with sexism in the workplace?

I am a student and an officer in my school's engineering groups. I am working with our Society for Pre-engineering at the moment, and I have had to deal with a great deal of sexism. I get comments about being to "girly" to be an engineer and how its a "shame" that I want to spend time in labs....

societyforwomenengineers womeninstem

Samantha U.’s Avatar
Samantha U. Apr 16, 2018 681 views

How do I gain and maintain respect and attention as a leader?

I'm currently the Head of Marketing on my school's robotics team, and I get a lot of disrespect from my peers, due to lack of interest in marketing, the fact that I'm smaller and younger than everyone else, that I am one of the five-ish girls on a 40+ person team, and the fact that due to my...

marketing womeninstem technology women-in-leadership