Career Questions tagged Womeninstem

Gillian C.’s Avatar
Gillian C. Jul 17 124 views

How much training do you receive on a full time cyber security job?

There are a plethora of different cyber security jobs out there, with much to learn as you are being introduced to the many different concepts of cyber security. After accepting a full time cyber security position, how much/what kind of training do you typically receive starting into your...

#cybersecurity #career #technology #computer-science #computer-security #womeninstem #stem #computerscience #applicationsecurity #careerdevelopment #july20 #informationsecurity

Gillian C.’s Avatar
Gillian C. May 09, 2019 292 views

When do most comp sci internships start?

I’m going to be a junior in computer science this coming fall, and I would like to begin searching for internships for the experience. I am going to have to take a summer class during the month of May. Are there internships that allow you to start in the middle of the summer, or are there any...

#technology #computer-science #internship #womeninstem #stem #computer #computer-software #softwaredeveloper #engineer #software #softwareengineer

Gillian C.’s Avatar
Gillian C. May 09, 2019 395 views

How to prepare for an internship?

I’m in progress of a computer science bachelor degree. However, I’ve only had two coding classes: an introductory class using Visual Basic, and C++. I do not feel that I have learned much and would like to be more qualified for future internships. How may I further increase my knowledge outside...

#technology #computer-science #internship #womeninstem #stem #computer #computer-software #science #softwaredeveloper #software #softwareengineer

Rosa W.’s Avatar
Rosa W. Aug 31, 2018 324 views

How do you deal with sexism in the workplace?

I am a student and an officer in my school's engineering groups. I am working with our Society for Pre-engineering at the moment, and I have had to deal with a great deal of sexism. I get comments about being to "girly" to be an engineer and how its a "shame" that I want to spend time in labs....

#societyforwomenengineers #womeninstem

Jessica A.’s Avatar
Jessica A. May 10, 2018 363 views
Samantha U.’s Avatar
Samantha U. Apr 16, 2018 505 views

How do I gain and maintain respect and attention as a leader?

I'm currently the Head of Marketing on my school's robotics team, and I get a lot of disrespect from my peers, due to lack of interest in marketing, the fact that I'm smaller and younger than everyone else, that I am one of the five-ish girls on a 40+ person team, and the fact that due to my...

#technology #marketing #women-in-leadership #womeninstem