Career Questions tagged Novels

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018 1071 views

Tips for surviving bad classes and/or horrible teachers?

I'm open to answers from both fellow students and former students for this question! I'm currently taking a literature class, and I absolutely love it, but that's in regards to all the novels on our reading syllabus being outstanding reads and my own innate passion for literature. When it comes...

student-advice english-literature tips advice bad-teachers books reading class english novels surviving-high-school novel high-school-classes survival academic-english classes writing essays help literature bad-classes book essay student

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Feb 10, 2018 1255 views

Can you be both a copy editor and a content editor?

Rather than being one or the other, I'm wondering if you can be both. I'm aware that each type of editor has a different skill set; however, I love the idea of doing both types of editing and I wouldn't want to limit myself to one type. Plus, wouldn't the flexibility of being able to do either...

copy-editing novel copy-editor editing content-editing content-editor writing-and-editing writing books book publishing editor novels

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 614 views

What is a day in the life of an editor like?

My dream career is to be a fiction author, but I know it's not really a financially-stable career, so I've been thinking of being an editor because I really, really love editing writing. I think I have an eye for it since I've always been the one that my peers come to for proofreading and...

writer editing author writing-and-editing writing books creative-writing writers publishing editor novels

Catherine T.’s Avatar
Catherine T. Jan 21, 2018 582 views

Can you get an internship at a publishing company?

I'm not in college yet, so it might be a little early for me to be asking, but I'd really like to be a copy editor for books and I was wondering if I could get an internship at a publishing company in the future, to scope out the environment and get more experience with the job. Will I have...

copy-editing editing internships interns writing-and-editing writing books creative-writing internship publishing novel-writing editor publishing-company novels

Bianca S.’s Avatar
Bianca S. Apr 13, 2017 829 views

What book genres are the most popular right now?

One of my ultimate goals is to write my own novel and have it published. Of course, I want my book to sell, so picking the right genre is important depending on what people tend to buy. What genres are typically easier to make sales off of? author publishing novels genre write...

novelist

Brier C.’s Avatar
Brier C. Mar 12, 2017 548 views

How does one get their book published?

I want to be a writer, so naturally I want a novel published some day. However, I have no idea how to even start looking into publishing. writing books...

novels

Jan W.’s Avatar
Jan W. Apr 02, 2015 1421 views

I do not know what career to choose. Serious help needed!

Okay,so I am in grade 10, I read a hell lot of books, I love fiction, fantasy and romance, I draw and paint really well, I can write pretty well too. Also, I am a straight A student. I was thinking about architecture or software engineering, but people said that software engineering is going to...

software-engineering general architecture novels

Garrett  O.’s Avatar
Garrett O. Dec 01, 2014 982 views

Starting in high school, what is the first or the most important step in becoming a writer/author?

I am a junior at Boston Collegiate Charter School (BCCS) in Boston, MA. I have a passion for writing and have written short stories and poems effortlessly since the sixth grade. I have seen my writing skills grow tremendously over my years at BCCS. Since freshman year, in addition to writing...

writer journalism author genre journalist novels

BenjaminC .’s Avatar
BenjaminC . Mar 29, 2012 1031 views

Getting Started

What kind of experience should a person have who is serious about making it in the graphic novel industry? Would college help or are there better ways to go about gaining experience? graphics...

novels