Career Questions tagged Philosophy

Summer R.’s Avatar
Summer R. Sep 29, 2021 194 views

Should professors be distinguished in their field before being offered a position?

Should offers for professorship be based on success in the field they teach in, or based on education/knowledge alone? Does experience factor into a professor's educational worth? education college professor teaching...

philosophy

Dwayne B.’s Avatar
Dwayne B. May 13, 2021 125 views

How big is space?

The proper distance the distance as would be measured at a specific time, including the present between Earth and the edge of the observable universe is 46 billion light-years (14 billion parsecs), making the diameter of the observable universe about 93 billion light-years (28 billion parsecs)....

philosophy

Manasvi H.’s Avatar
Manasvi H. Jan 31, 2021 204 views

What majors should I take up in college?

I'm interested in philosophy, psychology and english literature, and I can confidently say I can do well in these fields since its all I've ever been doing since I started to understand the importance and jobs. Although there aren't many good colleges or unis I can find that offer all three...

philosophy majors study overseasstudiesconsidered college university literature english psychology

Kimberly C.’s Avatar
Kimberly C. Jul 29, 2020 314 views

Is philosophy a good premed major?

I am a senior, and I have decided I want to major in philosophy, and minor in bioethics. Is that a good major for med school? medicine premed philosophy...

july20

Nicholas L.’s Avatar
Nicholas L. May 03, 2020 285 views

To what extent is rational analysis important in obtaining useful knowledge?

I am dealing with ToK as an IB student. May there be an answer that perhaps focuses on the knowledge aspect of the question? ToK...

philosophy

Andres T.’s Avatar
Andres T. Aug 28, 2018 578 views

With a degree in Philosophy, are there any other jobs you can get besides being a professor?

Philosophy is what I'm truly passionate about and love to study, but I don't see much of a future in it career wise. philosophy...

career

Christopher J.’s Avatar
Christopher J. Aug 13, 2018 356 views

What kind of jobs can I get with a degree in Philosophy?

I am attending college and plan on majoring in Philosophy then going to law school. However before I can go to law school I want to know what I could do with a Bachelors in Philosophy. lawyer...

philosophy

Evelyn D.’s Avatar
Evelyn D. Jan 16, 2018 381 views

Besides a Master’s in Philosophy, what can help me become a University Philosophy teacher?

Are there other things that can help my prospects on becoming a University Philosophy teacher? philosophy higher-education...

professor

Evelyn D.’s Avatar
Evelyn D. Jan 16, 2018 399 views

What more is to becoming a Philosophy Professor for a University?

I was wondering what other things beside teaching maybe expected from a Philosophy Professor at a University. philosophy professor higher-education instructor...

college

Kimetha S.’s Avatar
Kimetha S. Jan 14, 2018 442 views

What did you do with your Bachelor's degree in social sciences?

I'm a social sciences major who will be graduating in 2019. I'm curious to know how previous graduates have used the knowledge and skills acquired in college. I'm also curious what they opportunities they enjoyed and which were not so satisfying. social-science psychology sociology...

bachelorsdegree philosophy

Aedan C.’s Avatar
Aedan C. Jan 11, 2018 412 views

What classes should I take to study Philosophy?

I am a freshman in High school and was wondering what would be good classes to take in high school and in college to become a Philosopher? I have been interested in asking questions about life and the world around us, and was wondering if there is certain classes to take for this. philosophy...

high-school-classes academic-advising

David H.’s Avatar
David H. Jan 23, 2018 589 views

Is it best to chase after your dream or financial stability?

Everyone has that one thing they love to do, but know they probably won't make a lot of money from it though. Is it best to put stability over fun and passion? philosophy social-science-phd social-science social-sciences career-counseling career-choice finance business-finance...

career-goals purpose passions

victoria H.’s Avatar
victoria H. Nov 23, 2017 694 views

What should I pursue?

I've always had trouble figuring out who I wanted to be and am always changing what it is that I really want to do. One reason why its so difficult is because I've never found anything that incorporates all my skills and passions because they're just so diverse. To give a bit more insight I...

college-counseling philosophy law career-counseling art

victoria H.’s Avatar
victoria H. Nov 23, 2017 679 views

What should I pursue?

Mike S.’s Avatar
Mike S. Jun 01, 2017 1639 views

How should I figure out my major?

I've never known what I wanted to do or pursue career wise. I took psychology and sociology in my first year and a half at college, and I liked them, but I don't know what exactly I want to major in. I wouldn't mind studying more into sociology but I also want a career with a pretty decent...

writing philosophy college career-counseling communications history undecided sociology english psychology

Raii C.’s Avatar
Raii C. Jan 27, 2017 778 views

Do you want to work to live or live to work?

Sometimes I just wonder why people do what they do. If money wasn't a key piece in our game, would it still be the same? business money economics philosophy life-skills personal-development...

financial-planning

Charles L.’s Avatar
Charles L. May 30, 2017 1230 views

Are there majors for metaphysics?

Interested in metaphysics biology physics...

philosophy

Aukai E.’s Avatar
Aukai E. Aug 22, 2016 940 views

Being a philosophy major is something of interest to me but I often hear that it is useless when working- how do I get the most out of a philosophy class and at was school to make it worth it?

I am interested in studying philosophy but don't want to major in something that will make it hard for me to get a job. People say it can be useful if done right- how do I do it right? education university higher-education consulting...

philosophy

Tiffanie L.’s Avatar
Tiffanie L. Jul 14, 2016 858 views

What is the most important thing you want to get out of your life?

I guess if you rephrase the question it could be; what is the purpose of life? Why do we do what we do.. career...

philosophy

Matthew W.’s Avatar
Matthew W. Jul 12, 2016 963 views

Action drives us to push our limits and to grow. What are a couple things that I can take action on today to challenge myself and grow?

More of a philosophy question :) There are so many quotes about this concept "action": “Never complain, never explain, just let your actions speak for themselves.” – Benjamin Disraeli “The Superior man is modest in speech but exceeds in his actions.” – Confucius “There are no statues built to...

personal-development books philosophy growth business leadership

Justin H.’s Avatar
Justin H. Jul 11, 2016 625 views

What type of career can you get if you major in philosophy?

I would like to know what career a major in philosophy would lead to....

philosophy

Matthew W.’s Avatar
Matthew W. Jun 30, 2016 1979 views

Favorite podcasts for self-development?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! philosophy growth...

podcasts

Matthew W.’s Avatar
Matthew W. Jun 29, 2016 1321 views

As an aspiring leader and entrepreneur, what are three books I must read?

I am 19 years old at university. This summer I've immersed myself in a variety of texts ranging from philosophy to leadership advice. I still am, however, looking for that one book to spark a certain inspiration. If you have any book recommendations, I would love to hear it. entrepreneurship...

philosophy leadership books recommendation reading

Alec J.’s Avatar
Alec J. May 29, 2016 737 views

......Why?

I was curious about how the community would react to this question. In college, I had a roommate that told me a story about how his uncle was in a philosophy class and there was one question on his final exam. The question was the title of the post, why?. How would you react to a question like...

philosophy technology college psychology student

Forrest B.’s Avatar
Forrest B. May 22, 2016 1007 views

Will Cannabis or cannabis related industries, be the next production boom for america?

look at the media this is clearly a hot topic of debate, but for some reason talk has slowed I say lets re-open more discussion on this topic. lawyer entrepreneurship investing philosophy judges farming cannabis...

drug-delivery

Forrest B.’s Avatar
Forrest B. May 22, 2016 793 views

why do many highschools, and now some colleges, stress standardized testing?

I come from the deep south and in the school environment i've seen there is more stress put on passing a test than retaining information. I have even received cheat sheets, along with the rest of the class, from teachers for tests. now in college I see that almost nothing was retained and have...

education philosophy educator politics art sociology philanthropy psychology

Trevor Warren W.’s Avatar
Trevor Warren W. Apr 12, 2016 894 views

What are the possible career paths for a college graduate with a degree in philosophy?

I am currently a sophomore in high school. I will soon be looking at potential colleges that I would like to go to and potential careers I would like to pursue. I have taken an interest in philosophy and questioning the institutions and beliefs around me. I would like to major in philosophy in...

career-path philosophy-practice philosophy